Friday, April 19, 2019

After the 100 Days were Gone By

Left with the void from having completed 100 Creations in 100 Days, I wasn't sure what to do. For about a nanosecond! As soon as I gave myself a chance to wonder, I knew I wanted to paint a pastel painting from Iceland.

My husband and I have just bought plane tickets for Iceland for October.  He'll be there a week. I'll be staying about 35 days, doing another Artist's Residency. I just don't want to stay away from this beautiful country!

We will be in Laugarvatn at Gullkistan Residency, one we have both done before. Laugarvatn is a beautiful small town on the Golden Circle (between Thingvellir and Geysir). There's a gorgeous lake with fabulous clouds scudding across the sky in front of the plate glass windows of the residency's studios. There is a large hotel where I've taken my travelers on our tours and a hostel. Three schools. Some good restaurants. A terrible grocery store that's more like a convenience store. A luxury spa. A swimming pool with practically the same facilities but only $5, not $35. And a lake - did I mention the lake? - to walk down to daily and wander around. And a mountain with trails behind the residency to climb and explore.  It's a compact paradise near many wonderful sights. I am very excited about returning yet again.  I feel so blessed!

So I looked through my photographs of Iceland, ones I'd stored in the special folder on my desktop marked "Paint these", and chose one from a day in Akureyri.  I'd needed to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city so I drove south down the fjord, away from town. Across the fjord I was startled by the contrast between the bright white mountains and the crystal blue sky. With the gentle half moon perched gracefully near the floating white clouds. It's now a painting on my easel where I look daily with longing, anticipating a return to this land I love so much!

Half Moon
pastel
24"x18"
$650


No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing with Acrylics and Stencils and Gelli Plates and Rice Paper and... and... and...!

One of the joys of being a teacher is that I get to learn so much from my students... For the last couple of years I've been working w...