Monday, March 11, 2019

#53 - #58 of 100 Creations in 100 Days: Creativity Affirmations


February 24, 2019
I was in a bit of a funk, not clear about what I was doing creatively. I think most artists go there at least some of the time. When I started this blog, I thought I'd be very consistent, creating a large scale painting each day and posting it, writing about my process or the image each evening.

Life doesn't turn out the way you expect.  I know that. Yet it still comes as a surprise just about every time! 

I simply haven't had enough time to get into the studio as consistently as I'd like to, so those large paintings haven't happened - yet. Instead, I've been experimenting my visual journal and accepting that the drawing I'm doing as demos in class count as well for my self-challenge.  On this particular day, I wanted to offer encouragement to a friend whom I saw as needing creative encouragement, so I put together a book of quotes on creativity and started illustrating it. Before I was even half way through, I realized it wasn't for him - it was for me! I keep picking up the book and dipping in to read the quotes at the start of the day. It never hurts to get a bit of inspiration from someone else's wisdom. 

Below I've attached several of the pages and will attach others in tomorrow's and the next day's posts to provide you with a bit of affirmation for your creative journey if you need it too!

(By the way, if you're interested in spending 3 hours a day for a week playing in your visual journal, I'll be teaching just such a class at the Visual Arts Center of Richmond, June 17-21, 1:30 - 4:30 daily, Monday - Friday.  It isn't on their website yet, so if you're interested, you can contact me to ask me to tell you when it is, or take a look in May and sign up then.)


#53 "I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way, things I had no words for."
~ Georgia O'Keeffe

#54 "The artist must train not only her eye, but also her soul."
~Wassily Kandinsky
(I might have changed pronouns here just a bit!)

#55 "One can speak poetry just by arranging colors well."
~Vincent VanGogh
~image by Chihuly

#56 "an artist is an explorer"
~Henri Matisse

#57 "The artist produces for the Liberation of her soul.  It is
her nature to create as it is the nature of water to run down the hill."
~Author Unknown
(I may have changed these pronouns too!)

#58 "Color is the place where our Brains and the Universe meet."
~Paul Klee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing with Acrylics and Stencils and Gelli Plates and Rice Paper and... and... and...!

One of the joys of being a teacher is that I get to learn so much from my students... For the last couple of years I've been working w...