Sunday, February 24, 2019

Creations #35 and #36, class exercises: drapery and an orange

February 6, 2019
Creations #35 and #36

Tuesday evenings I teach Introduction to Pastel Drawing, and Wednesday afternoon I teach Intermediate Drawing at the Visual Arts Center of Richmond.  I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to work with artists at the beginning of their journeys.  It's an exciting thing to watch someone discover that, in fact, they can render something accurately! There's plenty of frustration and hard work, but the delight and satisfaction make it all worth it.

The most challenging exercise I have students take on in Pastels is a self portrait.  It's daunting for just about anyone to draw themselves, but these are students, for the most part, without a lot of drawing experience.  I teach them the basic proportions of the face then have them draw that, life-size on their sanded paper. Then they are to look in the mirror and create their own unique characteristics in the drawing. (We create strong contrast by the use of a clip lamp so the values are more easily discernible.) The next step is to choose three values, any hue, and to place them accurately on their drawing. The final step is to use the correct hue and value to their sketch, add a background, and do what's necessary to finish their portrait.   I am consistently in awe of the portraits the students create.  Here is week one and week two for my student Edson and the final product for Telly as well.



On Wednesday afternoon, I taught the students one of the many ways to go about drawing drapery - something traditional ateliers will spend months learning how to do.  They get 2.5 hours!  Oh well - it's a start! 

The primary task to drawing drapery, in my opinion, is to look, really look at what you're seeing. Try to decipher where the distinct edges are where the blurry edges are. What's causing the shadows? How can you tell the difference between a fold and a drape? Can you tell how the material is hanging?  Once those querries have been considered, the students just have to get to work to try to make sense of it all.  I don't know of any shortcuts to making drapery look realistic - just plenty of hard work.  My students often laugh and exclaim, "And people think an artist's life is easy! Ha!"

#35 Drapery study created during class as my
students worked on their studies.
The week before self-portrait week in Pastels class, I teach students about value and how to get a sense of form using hue and value. We use simple fruits and vegetables for this exercise as they're not too hard to draw and provide interesting color changes which are challenging to render accurately.  We'd already studied color, form, and composition in other sessions, so this was the opportunity to combine all those lessons in one drawing.  Below is the demo I created in that class.  Over the years I've drawn perhaps 100 oranges for class and for my own explorations.  I don't ever tire of them - there are so many possible combinations of color, light, background, shadow, composition - it's fun trying to come up with something new.  

Just for fun, I'll include some of the other oranges I've drawn over the years.  Some are finished, some not quite. Which one is your favorite?
2019

Much less finely rendered.  I enjoy the
energy of this one.

Another one with a lot of energy
All the others are pastels. This one is a small oil painting,
6"x6".



Created on a beach vacation one year. The reflections
are from windows through which I could see
the ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing with Acrylics and Stencils and Gelli Plates and Rice Paper and... and... and...!

One of the joys of being a teacher is that I get to learn so much from my students... For the last couple of years I've been working w...