Thursday, January 10, 2019

#5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 of 100 - lots of drawing today!

I'm loving this challenge I set for myself!  It makes me excited to get up each morning so I can get into the studio and begin playing.

This morning I wanted to continue working on the drawing of the boat from yesterday, but I also needed to make a gift for a friend for a gift exchange I'm involved in a couple of weeks from now.  I decided to make a sketch book for her out of pretty papers since she'll be taking Beginning Drawing starting the week after that.  The book is done using a coptic binding which allows the pages to lie flat when the book is open - very practical for a sketchbook!





At 11, I had the pleasure of teaching a private student Beginning Drawing then this afternoon I taught Intermediate Drawing at the Visual Arts Center of Richmond.  In class, I gave the students the assignment of drawing a single object at least 12 times.  To facilitate their process, I gave them a table with 12 entries suggesting ways to draw the object, and another table listing 6 different media they could use.

Blind Contour




Modified Blind Contour
Gesture
Negative Space




Detail in 1”x1” box
Focusing on volume
Focusing on value




Using cross hatching
Fill the entire page with just a segment of the object
Using 1 continuous line




Using only 3 lines
Filled with patterns

6B pencil




01 Micron
Peel-able charcoal pencil
Fat charcoal




4H pencil
Anything else you have

I had them tear up the tables and place the pieces of paper in 2 different piles then draw one from each pile to create a drawing. So for example, they might get "Focusing on volume" and "01 Micron".  Then they would create a drawing with shading that emphasized value using a 01 Micron pen.  The drawings students came up with were very cool!  After a time, they got tired of working with just a single object, but I encouraged them to keep going because the best break throughs come in this exercise when people push beyond the frustration/boredom and do something completely different.

Here are a few of the drawings I created using this system:
focus on value, large charcoal



I'd love to see what you create using this exercise if you decide to do it.  It's lots of fun!  I hope you'll give it a try!
blind contour drawing, 3 minutes, Micron 01
negative space, peel-able charcoal


blind contour 5 minutes, Micron 01
put patterns in it, large charcoal (no time
for the patterns!); 1" box, large charcoal





No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing with Acrylics and Stencils and Gelli Plates and Rice Paper and... and... and...!

One of the joys of being a teacher is that I get to learn so much from my students... For the last couple of years I've been working w...