Wednesday, January 30, 2019

#31 of 100 Creations in 100 Days, Half Moon Rising

In Akureyri in 2017, the days could be achingly beautiful as on this day when the moon was rising gently over the stark white mountain across the fjord from the city.

During most days at some point, I left my cozy apartment/studio and walked past the art museum, the hotel, across the main street, past the photography store and tourist center.  I waited patiently for the red-heart-shaped traffic light to turn green then crossed the busy thoroughfare to the walkway by the fjord where the whale-watching ships waited for the tourists. I watched, astonished, as joggers dodged the ice, and wondered if I would ever attend an event at Hof, the cultural center standing sentinel over the shoreline.

I went to the water to drink in the beauty.  In my apartment, there were no windows framing the beautiful sites, only the grey snow-covered parking lot.  The sounds I could hear were studded tires racing down and grinding up the cobblestoned hill accompanied by the quarter-hour bells from the cathedral above me.  I went to the water to watch the ducks dive for sustenance, to hear the waves lap and the gulls caw, to have my ears and eyes filled with nature instead of assaulted by the sounds of man counting time or hurrying from place to place.

Half Moon Rising
pastel painting
18"x24"
$550 until 2/6, then $750

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing with Acrylics and Stencils and Gelli Plates and Rice Paper and... and... and...!

One of the joys of being a teacher is that I get to learn so much from my students... For the last couple of years I've been working w...