Friday, January 11, 2019

#12 Geometric Quilt based on Sanford Biggers' sculpture at the VMFA

After a lovely walk this morning with a friend, I headed to a store that sells lamps to get a light for above the door on the deck.  I was fortunate to find one I like for a great price at a local lighting outlet then headed home for a full day of studio time!  Yay!

Interestingly, having the entire day stretch out before me led me to not use the time as well.  I took time to make bread, a friend came over for a bit, and I interacted with the folks working on the deck because I'm so fascinated by the process, I can't stay away!  I realized today I hope they don't think I'm micromanaging - I just love seeing what's happening and how they're doing it.  I never watched construction as a kid - I just thought a building magically appears and toilets never break and things never need fixing, because I have no clue who did that in our house!  As an adult, it's been an interesting journey to figure out how to fix and build things - I feel lots of pride when I manage since I'm coming from a ZERO knowledge base!

Anyway, finally around 2 I got into the studio and felt called by the Citra Solv papers...  Yesterday at the museum I'd seen a 3-D sculpture by Sanford Biggers.  It's a geometric structure based on the Golden Mean, created out of 3/4" plywood (I'm guessing) and covered with quilts created by African Americans.  I drew a sketch of it because it captivated me, and today I decided to try to recreate it in 2-D using the Citra Solv papers in place of quilts.  Here's the result along with some close ups:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing with Acrylics and Stencils and Gelli Plates and Rice Paper and... and... and...!

One of the joys of being a teacher is that I get to learn so much from my students... For the last couple of years I've been working w...